FAQ 885
How do I register with a GP/ Doctor/ NHS and what will it cost?

You should register with a GP who is close to where you live once you have registered with the University. Don't leave this until you are unwell to register.
You will then be sent a NHS medical card (can take up to 3 months to be issued) but you can still receive treatment for a short term.
You must keep your local GP informed of your local address.
The University works in partnership with local GP surgeries in Luton and Bedford to support your health needs.
The University advise you to register during your induction week when representatives are on campus.
Registration with any GP surgery is free but you can only register with one GP / Health Centre at any time.

Luton Campus Student Health Centre
Opening times: Monday to Friday 9am - 6.30pm
39 Castle Street
T: 0844 387 9242


Urgent Primary Care Centre (UPCC) formerly the NHS Walk-in Centre (Town Centre GP Surgery, Chapel Street) and other out of hours service locations

The Urgent Primary Care Service is now integrated with NHS 111 and the GP Out of Hours Service.

Patients can only access the UPCC by calling NHS 111. If you just go there, you will be turned away.

Students registered with a local GP: You are advised to contact your own GP in the first instance if you need a same-day urgent appointment. If your GP practice cannot provide an appointment, you should ring NHS 111 for advice.

Students not registered with a local GP: You should contact NHS 111 who will advise.

You will be clinically assessed over the phone and, if appropriate, will be given an appointment to attend the UPCC or the urgent primary care service at another location. You will be advised of the specific location if a face-to-face appointment is offered.

THE UNIVERSITY RECOMMENDS THAT ALL STUDENTS ARE REGISTERED WITH A LOCAL GP FOR THE DURATION OF THEIR STUDIES. Students who live locally or commute to university are advised to stay with their current GP.

In Bedford, the University work in partnership with Goldington Avenue Surgery www.goldingtonavenuesurgery.co.uk

Students will need to visit the surgery to register, bringing a student status letter from the Student Information Desk if they are international students. The address is:

85 Goldington Avenue
MK40 3DB

In Milton Keynes, the nearest GP surgery to the University is the Central Milton Keynes Medical Centre www.cmkmc.co.uk  It is easy to walk from the campus using the 'redways' – the cycle/footpaths. 

Registration times are as follows: 10.30am – 3.30pm Monday - Friday.

  • Proof of address - this can be a tenancy agreement or contract from your place of residence
  • Proof of Identification - this can be a passport including a current residency visa
  • A letter from the University confirming acceptance and enrolement on a course.

Students from the EU will need to produce a passport or EU ID.

All students registering will need to complete an NHS registration form and a CMK Medical Centre form asking for personal details, information on any medication currently being taken, past medical history and family medical history, a questionnaire about health and lifestyle.

A new patient health check is part of the registration process.  

International students are subject to the same statutory charges for e.g prescriptions currently £8.80, dental and optician treatment as anyone else in the UK but may be able to apply for exemption from charges.

To apply for exemption, you need to fill in a HC1 form which you can get from NHS hospitals, walk in centres and GPs.

You can also request a form by calling Health Literature Line on 08701 555 455 (then press 3) or from the NHS order line on 0845 610 1112.

You can also contact University of Bedfordshire International Student Support Office – Luton campus 01582 743498 or email intstudent.experience@beds.ac.uk and the form can be posted to you.

You may be eligible for full or partial exemption of charges.
Qualifying for free or reduced cost prescriptions is not regarded as a recourse to public funds by the Home Office and so will not infringe your student visa conditions nor will it jeopardise any application for an extension of stay in the UK.

If you are pregnant or have given birth within the last 12 months, you are automatically eligible for free prescriptions and do not need to apply for exemption from charges

Education UK provides helpful advice on health for international students in the UK.