FAQ 884
What treatment am i entitled to as an international student?

Students on courses of six months or longer.

All international students studying in the UK for 6 months or more can receive full health care under the National Health Service (NHS)
It includes

  • hospital treatment as an in-patient
  • treatment of pre-existing conditions
  • full maternity services
  • registering as a patient with a doctor and general practitioner (GP)
The spouse and dependent children living with the international student can also receive the same health care benefits as above.

Students on courses of less than six months

If your course is less than 6 months then you can receive emergency hospital treatment.
This is free but only if it is given in a NHS Accident and Emergency department.
If you have been admitted on to a ward or given an out-patient appointment charges will apply.
GP's may agree to treat you without charge but this will be limited to urgent treatment that cannot be delayed until you return home.
You will have to pay for any other treatment as a private patient.
It is very important you take out medical insurance for the duration of your visit to the UK. (Not having insurance can prove to be very expensive for private treatment.)

Some countries have mutual agreements about health care with the UK. If you are studying for less than 6 months you should find out about this from your local health authorities in your home country. You may still need to take out limited or even full medical insurance depending on the arrangements.